Afghan War Diary, 2004-2010
- Release date
- July 25, 2010
25th July 2010 5:00 PM EST WikiLeaks has released a document set called the Afghan War Diary, an extraordinary compendium of over 91,000 reports covering the war in Afghanistan from 2004 to 2010.
The reports, while written by soldiers and intelligence officers, and mainly describing lethal military actions involving the United States military, also include intelligence information, reports of meetings with political figures, and related details.
The document collection is available on a dedicated webpage.
The reports cover most units from the US Army with the exception of most US Special Forces' activities. The reports do not generally cover top secret operations or European and other ISAF Forces operations.
We have delayed the release of some 15,000 reports from the total archive as part of a harm minimization process demanded by our source. After further review, these reports will be released, with occasional redactions, and eventually in full, as the security situation in Afghanistan permits.
The data is provided in HTML (web), CSV (comma-separated values) and SQL (database) formats, and was rendered into KML (Keyhole Markup Language) mapping data that can be used with Google Earth. Please note that the checksums will change.
- Complete dump of the website, HTML format 75 MB
- All entries, CSV format 15 MB
- (SHA1: d6b82f955a7beb9589f92e9487c74669d1912a34)
- Raw data in comma-separated value format for further processing.
- All entries, SQL format 16M MB
- (SHA1: 9463f73ebbcd3f95899a138d6ba9817e1b6b800d)
- Raw data in SQL format for further processing.
- All entries, KML format 16 MB
- (SHA1: 34562c0c7722522161e40330d80ac9082014845f)
- This archive contains all events in one KML file. This file needs much memory if opened with Google Earth.
- All NATO entries, KML format 209 kB
- (SHA1: 088ff8999a316f30e5e398021375fa3b4fc6349e)
- Contains the events that were tagged with NATO.
- Entries by month, KML format 16 MB
- (SHA1: 01a5c0639e1e1e844b10e962a44849b2a521d092)
- This archive provides the entries split by month. This makes it easier to browse the data in Google Earth on low power machines.
- Entries with scale filter, KML format 981 kB
- (SHA1: 4669c721b87775a44472f6688e768305c686beff)
- File that will show a scale corresponding to the number of incidents in Google Earth. Each incident begins with a 0.5 base score, and 0.1 has been added for each incident involving humans. This set of data provides only events that have a scaling of 1.5.
- Insurance file 1.4 GB
- (SHA1: cce54d3a8af370213d23fcbfe8cddc8619a0734c)
To decompress the files you will need the program 7zip. A free client for Windows can be downloaded here. Please use your favorite search engine to find clients for other operating systems; these include p7zip for Unix/Linux and EZ7z for Mac.